Friday, April 23, 2010

Questions in Evaluating Worship

Because each one of us are human and have great tendency to move in and out of responding in the Spirit then the flesh, we must be diligent in keep the right focus. Please always remember whom you serve in ministry. There are human and practical ways in which it might said that we serve one another, or we serve the leaders God has given us, or we serve those in the congregation, or we serve the community. However, if that is our main focus, we become distracted by any comment that might be considered critical or negative. We also become distracted to trust our flesh through positive comments we receive. Ultimately, as lead worshipers in a Worship Ministry, we worship to an Audience of One. God Almighty is the One on whom we should focus. We often ask questions like, "Did we sound good today? Did the congregation respond to the music we presented? Was the pastor blessed by what we shared today?" All these questions are good and valid, but only when they are kept in perspective. The ultimate question we should ask first is, "Was God pleased with my/our worship today?" I know that question may have an ambiguous answer for us. God doesn't speak audibly to any of us with an answer (At least He doesn't to me; if He does to you, let me know about it! :) ). However, we can evaluate an answer by asking/answering some important questions in our spirits (and in the quietness of our time with God):

1. Was the music presented focused on the truth of scripture?
2. Did it reveal truth about God (as Trinity - Father, Son, Holy Spirit)?
3. Did God teach me something new & fresh about Him today?
4. Did worship cause me to repent of sin in my life, as God revealed that sin to me?
5. Did worship cause me to respond in surrender of some area of my life to God?
6. Did worship give me a desire for a deeper love relationship with God?
7. Did worship prompt me to thanksgiving or praise for what God has done in my life this past week?
8. Did worship give me a burden to reach someone with good news of salvation in Christ?
9. Did we truly lift up Jesus?
10. Did I take credit for anything myself?
11. Was I distracted during worship today?
12. Did I do anything that might have been a distraction to others?
13. Did I give God my best today in worship?
14. Did worship prompt me to pray?
15. Did we enable the body of Christ to worship today?
16. Did I bless the heart of God in my worship today?
17. Was I fully prepared spiritually, emotionally, physically, musically as a lead worshiper today?

Answering these questions will give spiritual evaluation to worship, rather than focusing on the opinions of man as those opinions are expressed to us. Take these to heart as you prepare for worship this week and evaluate your worship each week.

No comments:

Post a Comment